- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar*
- 400 mL coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
* Or to taste. I first made these with a full cup of sugar, working from a recipe which called for even more, but found the custards far too sweet.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Beat the eggs until foamy.
Beat in the sugar, then the coconut milk and spices.
Divide mixture evenly between 6 custard cups.
Place cups in a large, deep, baking dish such as a lasagna pan.
Pour boiling water into the baking dish, filling to 1/2 the height of the cups.
Bake at 325°F for 35-40 minutes (until custard is set).
Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving so custard firms up.
Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.