- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green onions
- 1 hot pepper (chili or jalapeño)
- 1 cup yogourt
- 1/4 cup water (optional)*
- cilantro leaves to garnish
* If using a thick, Greek-style yogourt, add the water to thin the sauce a little. If you're using a thinner, low-fat yogourt, you may find the water is not necessary.
Slice the green onions and mince the hot pepper.
Heat the oil in a small heavy-bottomed frying pan.
Add the mustard seeds and cover pan until they pop.
Add the cumin and turmeric and stir to blend flavours into the oil.
Add the onion and hot pepper and stir fry for a few minutes until softened.
Add the water if using.
Reduce heat to low and stir in the yogourt.
Heat until yogourt is just warmed through. Do not allow it to boil.
Serve over rice or in small bowls topped with cilantro leaves.