Welcome to the Polyphagous Dragon!

Hearty greetings from the Rainbow Dragon to all visitors to my digital kitchen in the blogosphere!

As my blog title suggests, these pages contain a wild mix of recipes which sample a wide range of flavours and cultures. I won't even try to apply an over-arching theme to this project other than to say that every dish is about creating good food!

The Polyphagous Dragon offers multiple options for site navigation in the sidebar panels. Use the Contents box to search for recipes by dish type, the Blog Archives to search for a specific recipe by title or the Ingredients Index to pull up all recipes that feature a particular ingredient. See also my Cooking Philosophy notes for further insights.

Add to Technorati Favorites Wassail!

Friday, July 20, 2007

Pesto

The herb seller in my local market knows me as "the basil lady" because, whenever my friend Sumaya and I get together for "Fest-o-Pesto", I am wont to clear him out of his stock.

A word on garlic and quantity: When I write "one garlic" I really mean the whole garlic (NOT one clove). Cooking with part-bulbs is for wusses. There are no vampires in my kitchen!

Ingredients:
  • 3 bunches fresh basil
  • 1 garlic, peeled
  • 2 handfuls pine nuts
  • 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • extra virgin olive oil to mix

Directions:

Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend, using just enough oil to mix pesto into a thick paste.
Invite your friends over to enjoy the wonderful aroma in your kitchen and sample your flavourful creation.
If there are any leftovers, package them into single portion airtight containers and freeze immediately.

To enjoy leftover pesto:

Thaw enough pesto for one use GENTLY.
(Be careful NOT to cook the pesto!)
Enjoy immediately.

Notes:

Pesto is a wonderful, versatile food, bursting with heart-healthy garlic. I enjoy it spread thickly on fresh, whole grain bread and topped with fresh tomatoes and Lancashire cheese.

Pesto is for sharing! Trust me on this one. If you consume this pesto, you will NOT be able to mask the scent with a swig of mouthwash or a sprig of parsley. You will breath garlic and you will sweat garlic! The only way to enjoy garlic and to still have friends is to share your garlicky creations with all of your mates. Then you will all smell the same!

No comments: